Hours: 10 hours per week, $14-18/hour commensurate with experience.
Overview: Kingston Springs United Methodist Church (KSUMC) is seeking a part time Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) to begin work in January 2018. KSUMC is a small-medium membership community with a historic and inclusive presence in downtown Kingston Springs serving the communities of Kingston Springs, Pegram, Bellevue, White Bluff, Dickson, and Fairview.
The Director of Youth Ministries is supervised by the Lead Pastor and accountable to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. The DYM is considered part of the church’s ministerial staff and will conduct him/herself as a ministerial professional.
The Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for designing and leading ministry to youth in grades 6 – 12. The DYM will provide leadership to all aspects of KSUMC middle school and high school youth programs, including worship, spiritual formation, mission, and fellowship.
The primary objective of youth ministry at KSUMC is to: build meaningful relationships with youth and their families that foster growth in faith in Jesus Christ.
An effective and fruitful youth ministry will:
- Create a loving and welcoming atmosphere for youth and their families.
- Encourage youth as they explore and grow their relationship with God.
- Create or collaborate on opportunities for spiritual nurture, worship, fellowship, and Christian service.
- Challenge youth to respond to God’s call to service in the community and world.
- Plan, develop, and direct implementation of a balanced youth ministry, primarily on Sunday morning on Wednesday evening (fellowship, worship, spiritual formation, mission, and outreach).
- Be relationally present to youth and parents in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Be an advocate for, and educate the congregation regarding, the hopes, concerns and needs of youth.
- Recruit, train and, support program volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of ministry, and enlist adequate volunteer support.
- Provide a communications link using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, social media, etc.) between youth, parents, church leadership, staff, and the congregation.
- Mentor youth to help them develop leadership skills and sense of vocational calling.
- Coordinate spiritual formation opportunities and curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
- Coordinate Confirmation classes in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the annual youth ministry budget in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
- Plan and lead opportunities for retreat, fellowship, and Christian service (E.g. TN UMC’s Warmth in Winter).
- Maintain connections with high school graduates and oversee outreach to these individuals.
- Ensure that the child and youth protection plan, Safe Sanctuary, is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- A growing relationship with Christ.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher level of education.
- Understanding of United Methodist polity, worship, and theology, or the willingness to learn.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage, and implement a youth ministry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively with youth, parents, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- CPR certification is preferred but not required.
- Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional/education references to Reverend Adam Kelchner at email@example.com
- Completed background check performed by KSUMC upon offer of employment.
- Completion of Tennessee Conference United Methodist Church Safe Sanctuary training upon employment.